About This Document
Sometimes a browser can be affected by websites that are visited. This is normal but after a period this can affect the way the browser performs. When this happens, it is recommended that this information added by websites be purged. It is also recommended that for better performance and security, the latest version of the browser be used. If you find that you are not using the latest version of your browser be sure to download the updated version from the manufacturer or a trusted, secure website.
This document details how to check the version of the browser as well as deleting the browsing history and the cached files left behind by some websites. Suggestions for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge for Windows are detailed in this document.
GOOGLE CHROME MAINTENANCE
Checking the version of Chrome:
1. Open Chrome and from the three vertical dots drag down to Help (2) and over to About Google Chrome (3).
4. In this example, Google Chrome is up to date.
Deleting The Browsing History And Other Cached Files:
1. Open Chrome and from the three vertical dots drag down to More Tools (2) and over to Clear browsing data...(3).
4. When the Clear browsing data window opens, select the Advanced tab.
5. From the pulldown menu select All time.
6. Leave the default selections checked but also check Cached images and files.
7. Press Clear Data when complete.
Checking the version of Firefox:
1. Open Firefox and from the three vertical bars drag down to Help (2).
3. Select About Firefox (3).
4. If your Firefox is not up to date, press Restart to Update Firefox.
5. In this example, Firefox is up to date.
Deleting The Cached Files:
1. Open Firefox and from the three vertical bars drag down to Settings (2).
3. Select Privacy & Security.
4. Locate Cookies and Site Data.
5. Press Clear Data....
6. Make sure both boxes are checked.
7. Press Clear.
Deleting The Browsing History:
1. Open Firefox and from the three vertical bars drag down to History (2).
3. Select Clear recent history....
4. Select Everything from the Time range to clear: pulldown menu.
5. Check all boxes in the History field.
6. Press OK.
MICROSOFT EDGE MAINTENANCE
Checking the version of Edge:
1. Open Edge and from the three horizontal dots drag down to Help and feedback (2).
3. Drag down to About Microsoft Edge.
4. Microsoft Edge is up to date.
Note: Since Edge is manufactured by Microsoft select, a check for Microsoft Updates will display an update for Edge if there is one available.
Deleting The Browser Cache:
5. Open Edge and from the three horizontal dots drag down to History (6).
7. Click on the three horizontal dots to open More Options.
8. Select Clear browsing data.
9. Select All time in the Time range field.
10. Leave the Default Settings Checked.
11. From the Clear browsing data window press Clear now.